Sunday, February 9, 2014

Crazy Hope

It's been one of those weeks, one of those weeks where I am just a crazy person. I hope you don't periodically turn into a crazy person like I do. I gotta tell you it sucks. I yelled, I argued, I worried too much, I did no laundry or dishes or sweeping (not that that is anything new really), I ate hostess cakes. I gave up. Satan has perfected for me a personally customized invitation to despair. He knows just the right timing, when all the stars align and the yucky circumstances mount. He knows just the thoughts to throw, the lies to tell to tempt me to hopelessness. This week I closed my eyes and let him lead me there; but my Saviour knows about despair. He has been to the darkest places and returned the victor. His long arms of grace can reach into any deep pit. His love is deeper still.

He used a note that a precious messenger of His love posted awhile ago to shine his light on me. She said, "When I think about hope, one word comes to mind: Jesus.  He is my hope.  He is the only Hope that any of us has.  So, when I hope, I pray.  I don’t throw my words out into an empty void, but I pray to the One who is in control of all things.  I pray to the One who created each child.  I pray to the One who listens and changes hearts and changes lives...I pray to the One who intervened in each broken life of each child who has lived inside these walls.  I pray to the One who pulled them out of each pit and put them in a place where they were able to learn of His Truth.  I pray to the One who has conquered evil.  I pray to the One who has power over darkness, power to change hearts of stone and make them hearts of flesh...He can bring the change needed in my life and in yours.  He has and will continue to change lives." You can read more of that note here

The Lord is so very good. Up next to the giant universe full of billions of people's precious lives, in light of his ultimate plan and the eternity of heaven, the importance of this small week of my life should be infinitesimal, my circumstances and feelings--silly, but in His grace he saw fit to reach down and bring me comfort and hope and love. It wasn't an accident that I saw this note, even how he arranged that was a work of his hand. 


I had resigned myself to disappointment and despair and loneliness, doubting that He held all things, believing He was far away, but He graciously, called me back to hope, to prayer, to Him. So even though I may not yet feel fine and even though my week may still be tough, I will choose to believe He is who he says, and I will cling to hope though my hold at times feels tenuous. I will "pray to the One who has power over darkness, power to change hearts of stone and make them hearts of flesh...He can bring the change needed in my life and in yours.  He has and will continue to change lives."


Isaiah 49:23 “Then you will know that I am the Lord; those who hope in me will not be disappointed. 

P.S. Thanks Kristin Palmer. A really amazing work is going on in India, a battle for the souls of precious children. Check it out at www.bgchm.net

No comments: